Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Birthday, 4.5 Gallons of Sauce and the Waiting Game

Ken's 33rd birthday was on Friday. He wanted to celebrate it by going to dodgeball pickup, which we did. In true 3rd grade fashion, I brought 100 mini cupcakes for the group. Sad, since only 24 people showed up that day due to people saving their arms for the large tournament on Saturday. Ken took the rest of the cupcakes to the tournament the next day. They were eaten and his team came in 2nd place.

Meanwhile, I decided to get all the materials necessary for finishing the drywall in the basement. Have I ever done this before? No. Do I know what I'm doing? No. But the "How to" book said it was easy. A girl's got to learn sometime, right? I called my folks to tell them this and they laughed at me but were not surprised. I put the materials in the basement and, since it was a nice day, decided it was a good time to clean up the garden before winter when it would be too cold. I pulled up the tomato plants and put them in compost. But not before pulling off the remaining green tomatoes. Kinley ate all he could get his paws on and I was left with four giant buckets worth. Since green tomatoes kind of taste like tomatillos, I decided to make green enchilada sauce. I love enchiladas but the green sauce costs $3/can. Too expensive, in my opinion. So I roasted down the tomatoes, added onions and garlic, and ended up with 4.5 gallons of enchilada sauce. I canned the sauce while Kinley puked up his share of the tomatoes.

Sunday was Ken's Flag Football game. The "Sunday Touch Downs" were 1-4-1 for the season but ended up winning the whole damn thing to become superbowl champs. Way to go STDs!

So now it's Tuesday and I just received word that my grant has been reviewed and the score is posted. I went to the website to prepare myself for the bad news (very few grants are getting funded right now), but for some reason the number won't come up meaning I'm now waiting for someone from the university to help me so I can login to find out. Waiting, waiting.

Excited for Halloween tonight. I love seeing the kids coming to the door. Tomorrow is Wednesday Widow night -- while Ken and Eric play basketball, I am going over to Alyson's to drink martinis while we let the dogs play in the fenced-in backyard. Ken drops me off and picks me up. So by the end of the night, dogs are tired, Ken is tired and I am happy.

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I just called NIH to find out what's going on and why I can't see my score. Turns out that two account profiles were created on my behalf that "need to be merged" before I can see anything about my grant. That takes 2 days.

Those who know me understand that patience is not my strong suit.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Sara said...

That sucks. 2 days of torture...Hopefully your wait will be worthwhile. My fingers are crossed for good news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home