Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, October 23, 2006

Hello, my name is Lisa

and I am an addict. Or a squirrel in a former life.

I don't know if was being gone for a week or the cold weather that has set in, but I can't stop cooking and canning food. I went full force all weekend and actually depleted my stash of empty mason jars in the process. I also roasted two chickens and 4 heads of garlic. Eating a roasting chicken on Sunday nights is a tradition for Ken and me in the fall/winter... nothing starts off a week like a good home-cooked meal. (Plus, that leaves lots of leftovers for easy weeknight meals). Ken made the gravy last night using the roux method, which turned out awesome, silkysmooth and lump-free -- easily his best gravy to date. He now wants to make the Thanksgiving gravy, which I'm quite excited about. When the cooking dust had settled, here's what we put away this weekend

Weekend Canning Insanity Totals:
  • 5 cups roasted butternut squash soup
  • 63 cups tomato sauce from the garden
  • 16 cups potato leek soup
  • 16 cups chicken stock (tonight)


  • Thanksgiving is tomorrow, right?

    5 Comments:

    At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Potatoe Leek Soup!!! One of my FAVORITES!!! xoxo Mom-in-law

     
    At 5:03 PM, Blogger marsha said...

    Lisa, you're scaring me.

    But if you want to mail me some tomato sauce, I could take some off your hands....

     
    At 7:32 PM, Blogger Brian said...

    Well...I made 10 gallons of beer this weekend...maybe it is a fall instinct of some sort.

    Damn I am happy to be experiencing fall again.

     
    At 7:44 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

    lisa-damn girl, reading your last blog entries made my head dizzy and spin around, when i am a millionaire, can i hire you and ken to tend my house, cook for me, and plan all of my social activities?

     
    At 11:58 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

    I want to come to your house for T-giving...yum, potato leek soup, yum

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home