Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, December 11, 2006

My Lamp

...the one that I made in February, broke.



Not a huge break, just one piece that's barely noticeable. But still, it cracked. I don't know how it happened since the lamp hasn't moved since I made it. Ken pointed the crack out to me last weekend and I have been trying to decide whether I should attempt to fix it. To fix it, the soldering iron is held on the piece of glass until it breaks even more, then the pieces are pulled out with pliers. After the glass is removed, the old copper foil and solder are removed with more heat. Then the new piece is cut to fit, foiled and soldered back in place. In theory, it is very easy to fix a broken piece. But this lamp is my favorite. And if I get the neighboring pieces too hot, they break too.

I put it off all week and this weekend, but I finally got up enough nerve to attempt it last night. It took me about 45 minutes, but it is now finished and I am relieved. Phew.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Curse you grammar. I just realized I changed "example" to "representative" but forgot to change the "an" to an "a". But it is too ridiculous to go back and redo the figure. I will have to live with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home