Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, August 04, 2008

Fall/Winter Vegetable Garden


I get sad when summer ends and our tomato plants die back from frost. I know there are lots of veggies that can be started from seed now for fall/winter harvest. We did several varieties of garlic, shallots and leeks last year -- they were a big success and made me very happy to see something green in the winter -- but reading about winter gardening made me excited for the other things I can grow.

So I went to the store and got a bunch of seed packets. I planted them yesterday with my fingers crossed. Here's what I'm trying to grow from seed this year:

* Rutabagas
* Turnips (asian variety called shogun)
* Spinach
* Mache (type of salad green)
* Red beets
* Golden beets
* Swiss chard
* Kale
* Winter peas

plus the hold-overs from this year, garlic, leeks and shallots. I like how they keep coming back year after year.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home