Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, April 10, 2009

April Updates

Lots of things going on around here.

* Baby is still in there. It will be 3-3/4 months this weekend. Amazing that it will be 4 months very soon. The good news is I can still wear my normal pants. The bad news is not for long.

* My parents (who are very excited to be grandparents) are coming out to visit on May 1st for 2 weeks. It will be fun to see them, especially since Andrew now lives here too. My mom wants to go maternity clothes shopping, which I think is very sweet. They'll be driving out and checking out sights along the way -- also visiting Vancouver BC and Seattle while they're nearby.

* My peach tree (the one I planted last spring) has lots of hot pink blossoms. I've been hand-pollinating them with a paintbrush. My asian pear, also planted last spring, has lots of white blossoms that are just about the bloom. I am very happy about these things.

* The basment is still in progress. It is mostly finished, but I'm still working on the molding and learning how to use the compound miter saw. Ken and I worked on it last weekend after I learned how to do it "the hard way". I also have to finish the drywall around the closet doors and paint. That probably won't get done this weekend, because....

* This weekend is Easter. We're having 54 confirmed guests (including 2 babies under the age of 6 months). It is supposed to rain. Good thing Ken built the arbor and we have a ginormous (technical term) tarp we can throw over it and tie down. On the docket for tonight and tomorrow are filling over 1000 plastic eggs.

* I will be sad to not partake in mimosas this weekend. That said, I've learned that OJ, seltzer water and lime is an ok substitute.

* I bought my first pair of non-athletic shoes in 3 years. I can't wait to break them out for easter. It is taking all of my might not to post a picture of them here. But I will write an open-blog love letter to them after Sunday.

* The appraisal came back on our house and we were happy to find out that (despite the economy not having the basement completely finished), it is doing great. We were happy to hear that.

* Work is going well for both of us. I'm writing a grant for my job and enjoying doing it. I'm also going to a conference in Minnesota in May. I'm looking forward to it. My boss has been very supportive of my "condition". The pregnancy hasn't gotten in the way of work except for some headaches that come in the early afternoons. I just work through them, but it stinks. Today, I'm lucky that they started early in the morning. At least it's friday.

* Ken and I checked out a daycare facility last week and were shocked that, despite not needing daycare until January, 2010, we're on the wait list with an excellent chance of not getting a spot. The baby's not even born yet, though I felt like we were going through college admissions. And just like admissions, they took $40 from us to hold our name on the wait list. How sweet. We're going to put our names on a few more places, but sheesh, the daycare situation is crazy. You may want to sign up before you get pregnant. (I'm kidding -- kind of).

* I just got the call that my asparagus crowns arrived. I'll be picking them up this weekend. I'm very excited about them and will plant 10 plants.

* I still can't parallel park in my new car and feel ridiculous.

* I'm really looking forward to next weekend when we have no plans except for catch-up things.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Marina Martin said...

Aww, parallel parking's not that bad ... you just need a little practice. Take the new car out somewhere with a curb [and no other cars!] and practice lining it up with the curb. (Try putting out some crackers where the other cars' bumpers would theoretically be ... if you squish the crackers, you'll know you need to try again!)

There are a bunch of parallel parking videos on YouTube and elsewhere, too, that are worth checking out.

Good luck :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home