Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, July 15, 2005

Date Night

The hardest thing about leaving Tucson was the friends we left behind. Since we arrived in Portland in October, we have been mostly preoccupied with fixing up our new house. But now that things are mostly finished, it's given us a chance to look around with envy as we see groups of friends crowded around picnic tables with pitchers of beer enjoying the warm weather. Sigh.

Ken's softball team has been a great outlet to meet some new people. Most of them are our age (although one guy told Ken "that's right, you're old... aren't you like 31 or something?" To which Ken responded "actually, I'm... um.... 32". Hilarious. You couldn't pay me enough to be 23 again, but I digress.

So what a pleasant surpise that I just got a call from one of the guys on his team and his score-keeper wife who knew that Ken is out of town this weekend -- inviting me to joing them for drinks and then see Charlie & the Chocolate Factory that's opening tonight. (Bonus: a local shop is giving out free chocolate if you show your stub between now and the end of the month)

So I'm excited but a bit nervous. Meeting new friends feels like dating to me... Takes time to build relationships, some of which last and some of which don't. You can't rush friends. So who knows if these two will become great friends or just acquantances. I know it won't be decided tonight, but I get curious because I just like to know what's going to happen. I guess that's why I read movie spoilers instead of actually going to see movies.

And no, I haven't read the spoiler for the movie tonight. Does that mean I actually may be becoming a grown up?

4 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

Actually - I think yes.

The ability to delay gratification is often taken as a proxy for maturity.

Saw it on Oprah.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Actually, to correct my WIFE!!!...I believe I said I was 31....which is my correct age.

And for the 23 year old that said I was old....yeah, I can still smoke him in a foot race.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

2005-1973 = 32.... unless it matters that your birthday is in October. Oops.

Oh well, you act 32.

zing.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Well then, to draw off of Kyle's comment above....keep reading your spoilers then.

zing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home