Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Fourth Grade Fun

I am back in elementary school. Or it least it feels that way since I'm on adult co-ed teams for dodgeball, kickball & softball. That's three nights a week of ridiculousness followed by the whole league converging on Portland bars.

Kickball was slow to start but has been ramping up; I have a game tonight for which I'm actually excited. This weekend is Potlatch, the ultimate frisbee tournament in Seattle where we're all camping on the fields. Taryn's organizing the team & festivities. Caroline is flying up from Hawaii for it. Should be fun. We'll be back on Sunday night. Kinley's staying with a friend.

Next weekend, Ken's doing a scramble up on Mt. Hood with Emily, Marne & CanErik.

The following weekend is camping on the coast with Ken's men's softball team (he's in two leagues this summer).

In the meantime, I'm busy writing a grant (due Aug 5th; in for signatures around July 14th), making reviewer-recommended changes to a manuscript, writing up another and getting more research done. I am swamped but happy. Actually, I'm quite happy with my life right now.

And depite the heat wave this past week (100+!), my plants didn't die (or even wilt)thanks to the irrigation system on a timer I installed last month... meaning less of my time spent watering and more time to just enjoy what I've done. So far we have a bunch of tomatoes (all still green), an eggplant(!), strawberries and lots of herbs. I fear that despite the 5 basil plants I planted, we don't have enough to sustain us this summer.... Ken loooooves basil; I love caprese salads (mozzarella, tomatoes + basil with little balsamic, salt & pepper). I'm so excited it's summer.

But no, I can't get it all done. Our place is a mess... not dirty, but not clean either. Hey, something's gotta give. Luckily Ken & I are in the same boat with what we want to do (sports, camping & fun) and what we don't (general cleaning). As long as we're in agreement, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home