Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, September 29, 2006

Foiled Again

My afternoon meeting was cancelled so I left work a little early to meet some friends for happy hour (see post below). And since I had some extra time, I decided to use it by letting the dog out so I could stay out later if I wanted.

He, indeed, had to go to the bathroom. And upon his return, I discovered the 2 inch diameter sore that he had chewed into his tail. (Imagine when you skin your knee and scrape off the skin to reveal a red, weepy, pussy mess). Yes, this was that. Nuts.

I called the vet and they had an opening on Monday.

"Anything sooner?"
"Can you come now?"
"Yes"

And so my happy hour plans are slowly swirling down the drain. I call to tell them I can't make it to happy hour on our way to the vet. Kinley and I wait a while since the vet's office is packed. When it's our turn, we learn Kinley weighs 74 pounds and that his sore is infected.

"We need to shave the area and treat it." OK. The vet comes back a few minutes later to say that Kinley also has an ear infection. So now we're talking TWO medications given twice a day, each. One oral, one otol (what's the term for in-the-ear?). Anyway, we finish up with a healthy sized bill and lots of medications. (Note: has anyone else noticed that Kinley seems to get sick with high-maintenance problems more often when Ken is out of town? Curse you, Roko.)

When we get home, Hughes, Kinley and I sit on the back porch. I gave Kinley his antibiotics, made myself a martini and sat down to read Bon Appetit. No less than fifteen minutes later, the dog starts the yacking.

I love dog puke.

I love dog puke even more when the cat tries to taste it.

OK, everybody out of the pool.

I comfort the puking dog and pet the curious cat. I called the vet who told me to try again tomorrow morning with the medication after he eats. If he's still puking, come back.

Is this really what my weekend is going to be like?

1 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger marsha said...

Oh DEAR! I hope everyone is better today. Poor Kinley! Poor you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home