Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, September 08, 2006

Slapper Flag

When I have a lot of things on my plate at work, I usually take on a large project at home to distract me. This time, I decided to make a flag for our dodgeball team.

The team voted on the design of a yellow & white flag (looks like a glass of PBR, the sponsor beer of the league) with our Slapper logo in front (both logo and flag design were created by Dennis). Although I have made a quilt on my sewing maching, I no longer remember how to even THREAD it. Therefore, the entire flag was constructed with fusible fabric adhesive. I even made horizonatal and vertical sleeves, so the flag can be hung either way. The Slapper logo was printed off on special fabric "paper" (designed for inkjet printers) that is completely washable. It took 4 sheets to get the logo that big. Pieced them together and ironed them on. Next came the grommets. One in each corner, two in the corners where there were sleeves so I didn't grommet the sleeves closed. Finally, glass rhinestones were added for extra sparkle to the Dodgy writing using a special permanent glue (for use between smooth surfaces/rhinestones and fabric; it is also washable).

Ken made the flag pole -- a 1/2 inch wooden dowel with a PBR can mounted on top (removable and changeable to other finials, of course. See group pic below). It is pretty sweet and we waved it as we played our game on Thursday. We won, 8-2.



Brian then had the idea to turn it into a cape -- to be worn by the MVP of that night's game. He made a PBR bottle cap brooch that held everything together. I don't have a picture of the brooch, but you can at least see Brian sporting the Slapper flag/cape in all its glory at the bar. Everything got rave reviews.

1 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

The flag is amazing. Super fun pictures too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home