Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Brave New World

I gave my notice today.

2 more weeks of benchwork and then, poof, like Kaiser Soze, I am gone.

I can't wait. I'm going to take a week off to relax before starting my new job. Yes, I have a new job. It makes me salivate with enthusiasm. I am Pavlov's dog. I'm staying at the same institution but working in a new department doing science education. It is awesome. For my job, I get to translate research to the general public. To teachers. To K-12. I'll be working with the local science museum on events and exhibits. Some work with the zoo. Long story short: explaining science and research in a creative way is my new job. It's like brain awareness week year-round. Making models. Explaining DNA. Talking about how things work. What do 8 year olds need to know about stem cells? And how can I convey that using glue sticks and paper mache? I can't wait.

Timing is a crazy thing. I didn't even know this kind job existed a few weeks ago. I stumbled on it by volunteering at a friend's community center. Now I start doing this, the kind of work I love, full-time beginning December 10th.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Mischala said...

OMG! Super cool Lisa, congratulations. That sounds totally incredibly fun and perfectly you!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

Congratulations on making the choice and taking this opportunity.

Does this mean you can get us all in to the museum and behind the scenes for free?

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Awesome.

Congratulations on getting out.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Lisa
I'm still irritated for you regarding the some circumstances leading up to it.

You'll rock at this, I can feel Intelligent design proponents already cringing...

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks Chuck. (Note: When we were in San Diego, Chuck and I shared a bunch lab stories of experiments working/not working, etc. This post wasn't meant to be as cryptic and/or scary as it sounds.)

And thanks to everyone for the kind words. I can hardly wait to start this new chapter. On a side note, I just watched the Nova special that went over the Evolution vs Int Design dover trial and its issues yesterday. They did an excellent job with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home