Livin' la Vida Roko

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Homemade Tuaca

Oh sweet heaven. I was flipping through a local magazine and found Gilt Club's recipe for homemade tuaca. I figured a few of you would also want the recipe. Ken and I started a bottle of it tonight:

Homemade Tuaca

1 750 ml bottle brandy
2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
Zest of 2 tangerines
Zest of 1 grapefruit
1 3 inch cinnamon stick
1/2 cup simple syrup

Pour the brandy into a clean container and add vanilla beans and zests. Let sit 1 week, then add cinnamon stick and simple syrup. After 1 more week of infusing, strain out all ingredients, reserving the vanilla beans. Drop the beans into a clean bottle, then fill with the brandy. (Note: to make simple syrup, bring equal amounts sugar and water to a boil until sugar dissolves.)



Tuaca Sidecar

2 ounces homemade Tuaca
1 ounce orange liqueur (such as cointreau or grand marnier)
Juice from 1/2 orange
Juice from 1/2 lemon

Pour Tuaca, orange liqueur and juices into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass rimmed with Orange Sugar (recipe below). Makes 1 cocktail.

Orange Sugar

Grated zest of 1 small orange
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup sugar

Toss the orange zest with the salt. Spread out in a thin layer on a sheet pan and allow to sit overnight or until dry. Run salt through a food processor or use a wooden spoon to crush and grind salt back to original consistency. Add the orange salt to the sugar and mix well.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Natascha said...

HOLY SHIT!!

I was just watching Caprial and John and they made a drink with Tuaca so I went online to google homemade Tuaca and this is the first site to pop up. I didn't look at the name of the site I just clicked. Well after reading the recipe I glance over to the left and see Festivus and Santacon.

F'n Lisa. I heart you!



P.S. What do you think of a caramel syrup substituted for the simple?

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Natascha!

I think caramel syrup would be delicious, but then again, I would prefer any blood transfusions to also have caramel syrup in them.

I've found that straining the Tuaca is really, really important. The zests become quite bitter after all the citrusy goodness is extracted which leaves a bad taste when drinking. I used a fine sieve at first, but I found that wasn't sufficient to remove all the particulate. I found straining first through a fine sieve and then through a coffee filter works like a charm. The simple syrup slows down the straining so I add just the cinnamon stick the last week, then strain, then add the simple syrup at the end. Presto.

Have fun! This stuff is wonderful and so much cheaper than store-bought. And I highly recommend the citrus sugar. It's heavenly. Sometimes I'll make another drink just for the rim.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous London said...

Are you leaving any white rind in the zest? This causes bitterness- it's best too leave all the rind out.

Thanks a lot for the recipe!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous buy xanax said...

Cool stuff here!

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just sent this link to Caprial & John. Their program just ended several minutes ago where I live. Hope they enjoy it!
Donna in Golden Valley

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Any recommendations on a brandy to use for this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home