Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, April 27, 2009

The Great Tomato Draft of 2009

Ken and I went to a plant sale this weekend to pick up our tomato starts for the season. We've grown around 15 types a year in the past but decided to limit it to 10 plants this year.

We downloaded the list of available varieties. I had at least 10 I wanted. Ken wanted some too. So we each marked our favorites. If we marked the same one, they automatically made it into our top 10. There were only 2 that made the first cut, so we decided to do the rest in draft order. Here are our results:

1. (both selected) Black From Tula
2. (both selected) Mr. Stripey
3. (Ken #1 pick) Mexican Midget (due to name alone)
4. (Lisa #1 pick) Polish Linguisa
5. (Ken #2) Cherokee Purple
6. (Lisa #2) Shady Lady
7. (Ken #3) Gold Nugget
8. (Lisa #3) San Marzano
9. (Ken #4) Sweet Million
10. (Lisa #4) Red Brandywine

We divided the list into two and each took a section to divide and conquer. Ken was polite and patient but apparently I would stab an old lady in the side for a tomato start since I ended up with all 10 of the tomato plants in my basket before Ken could get #2. He was not happy. I see his point of view in retrospect and should have let him get his 5. I just saw mass lines and tomatoes flying off the shelves so I grabbed everything I could.

Ken ended up getting a white pumpkin and some mustard greens to ease his tomato woes. I got some honey, a blueberry and an alpine strawberry (again, sharp elbows). We'll plant them all this coming weekend. Ken can have first pick of locations for his new "friends" since I'm feeling guilty. Although technically, they were my "friends" first (kidding, kidding).

Here's a complete list of the tomato descriptions:


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home