Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, June 15, 2009

Katie in 3D

Ken and I went in for an ultrasound today due to some potential complications they found a few weeks ago. Short version: both issues may not be issues anymore. The placenta's now 5 cm away from the cervix (instead of partially covering it) and the fibroid hasn't grown and is on the posterior uterine wall -- away from the baby (who's hanging out in the anterior portion). Either of these issues would necessitate a C-section down the road. I'm glad to hear things are ok.

But truthfully, I was most thankful that the ultrasound just happened to be today since I've been sick all weekend. I was worried that something may have happened to Katie due to fever, etc. I was nervous for the appt.

Everything is looking great. She's still a "she" and is growing right on schedule. They estimate her weight at 1 lb, 8 oz. Her kidneys are fine, heartbeat looks good, etc. She wasn't moving much and likes to keep her hand near her face (which is pretty common apparently). Still, they were able to take the following pictures. We were pretty excited to see that some of them were in 3D!

Here's Katie at 24 weeks:

Her heartbeat


Her grizzly-like feet


Side view of her arm covering her face


What the same picture looks like in 3D. You can see her arm in front of her face with the umbilical cord to the left (near the nose/mouth/eyes)


The ultrasound tech tried to digitally "remove" the arm and umbilical cord to get a better view. It created some weird shadows....


Kind of like if she were a pirate. Arrrrgh! Batten ye timbers, mateys.


Face shot


Same face shot, but in 3D. Ken and I were surprised by the "dark hair" which are actually just shadows. Surprised us both at first since I didn't have hair until I was 3 and Ken is blonde as can be.


And lastly, the distorted view that Ken and I think is creepily hilarious.


Don't worry, Katie has the back of her skull. But in this picture, I think it looks like she has horns. Ken thinks she looks like the kitten on fire from the Family Guy episode where Stewie kills Mr. Rogers (see the 0:41 second mark). Either way, we were laughing in the ultrasound and thought some of you may find the humor in it too.

Next ultrasound appointment is in 5 weeks. An unexpected bonus of complications, I suppose.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home