Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, June 26, 2009

My uterus is a steel fortress

Ken and I went to my doctor's appointment this morning. The nurse took my weight, blood pressure and urine tests (all fine), making small talk by asking if I was feeling the baby kick. When I said no, she looked at me in disbelief. "Really? You haven't felt anything?"

Ken: "Is that abnormal?"
Nurse: "Well, most people start feeling the baby kick at 17 weeks and you're at 25 weeks. We'll have the doctor look at it".

We sit for an hour from the start of our appointment time, waiting for the doctor to come in. I understand that doctors get backed up, but for the first appointment of the morning (and having to be at work), it was especially frustrating watching the minutes tick by. Thank you iPhone for allowing me to play mah-jong while I waited.

When the doctor arrived, she was also surprised that I hadn't felt any movement. She did the doppler and heard the heartbeat (150 bpm). She asked if we could stay so she could do an ultrasound. I asked if it was safe since we've had so many (this was our 4th). She said as long as the energy settings are low (which these are), it's perfectly fine. And so I was slathered with ultrasound goo and probed.

Not much movement at first, which gave some concern since it could be a sign of developmental problems. But then Katie apparently woke up because we could see what she characterized as "giant kicks and punches", none of which I felt. The doctor was amazed I couldn't feel it. She said if I still don't feel movement in a couple of weeks, we can be more concerned since they use kick counts as some sort of pregnancy yardstick. I have another ultrasound in a few weeks, followed by my 28 week appointment. I'm sure we'll know more by then.

But for now, I feel my superpower is having a uterus of steel. I feel strangely proud of this feat.


P.S. Mom, the doctor said I should stop riding my bike for commuting purposes (just in case I fall or get into an accident). Bummer. I will abide since I don't trust my steel uterus that much. I'll miss the exercise and fresh air. Plus, riding the bus doubles my commute time. Boo.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Ugh. Waiting is the worst, especially if you are a little worried. I am glad that you had your iphone for entertainment.

I am impressed with your super uterus. Maybe the food poisoning indicent caused it to turn to steel. That could be your origin story! Rather than a radioactive spider your super powers evolved from week old Indian food.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Mischala said...

Doctors are so lame about this stuff, if you don't feel like you are wobbly or going to fall off your bike, it should be fine. The exercise is good for you. At some point though, reaching the handle bars becomes a major feat. We've adjusted the bikes in class in so many different ways to accommodate people who ride until a few days before they delivered. Doctors get weird if anything isn't within the given parameters, but lots of people walk and ride their bikes through this stuff, they don't usually redo basement floors and dry wall though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home