Livin' la Vida Roko

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Along the lines of shrimp stock...

I just made 3.25 gallons of pectin. Pectin extract to be exact. Why, you ask?

I know. It's ridiculous. But with the apple trees in the empty lot next door (that are going to be ripped down sometime soon to build a duplex) combined with the amount of jam I make each year (boxes of pectin run $2.50 each), it only made sense. Plus I saw this article in the Oregonian on Thursday telling me it is super easy. OK, I'll give it a try.

So yesterday I picked and quartered over 20 gallons of apples. Boiled them down in the driveway using low country boil pot that Taryn & Paul got us for our wedding. Strained in triplicate, the last time using cheese cloth. Processed it this morning using my giant pressure canner pot that Ken got me for my birthday last year.

So now I have over 3 gallons of pectin sealed & ready in sterile jars. Since it takes 6 tablespoons of it to gel a cup of fruit, I think I'll be set for next year.

(Can you tell I have a paper I need to finish?)

4 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Brian said...

So if I did my math right, that means you can gel 138.6666667 cups of fruit, right?

I have a basement you can use for storage if yours gets full. Small inconvienience of it being 3000 miles away, but still...

My favorite is blueberry, BTW.

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger rob said...

I just picked aobut 2 gallons of blueberries off the weathered Alaskan tundra. I love marion berry.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Blueberry jam is by far the most time-intensive to make. Each liiiitttle blueberry is hand-picked until I have enough to add up. Which takes a while. Then it's time to pick any leftover stems off and weed out any bad berries. If it wasn't so damn good, I wouldn't make it anymore.

Marionberry on the other hand, I might as well get to steal some candy from babies. Although if it's so easy, I wonder why I didn't make any of it this year.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger K said...

Can I have a pack of pectin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home