Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Cherries Jubilee

Just got back from lunch at the Wednesday Farmer's Market where I found Bing cherries for (drum roll please)

$1/lb

That is insanity. They are usually $3.99/lb...maybe $2/lb if you're lucky. Seizing the opportunity, I used my sharp elbows and bought ten pounds (kept stuffing bags until people looked at me meanly). Then I hauled them up the OHSU hill in my back bike basket. Now they are sitting happily on my desk because (unbeknownst to them), they will be turned into jam in T minus 3.5 hours.

6 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they cost $5.99/lb in SF. I freaked when I found them for $2.99/lb for normal, $3.99/lb for organic. these were rainier, though, so the higher cost is excusable :)

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

$1.99 lb Ranier cherries in Chinatown yesterday. Chinatown, Hawaii?!?!?!?

C made cobbler!!!

Lychee-infused vodka is being created as we speak so to make the Aloha Martini.

That's lychee vodka with fresh squeezed pineapple, yaherd?

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

That sounds awesome. Lychees remind me of Arthur.

On a similar note, one of my favorite martinis is a pineapple-habanero, which can be made (more easily) by using a store-bought pepper vodka + pineapple juice. I like mine with a twist of lime, too. Heaven.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Is that it?

Or must I infuse the vodka.

I am enthusing about infusing.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Feel free to infuse your own vodka with hot peppers (great for bloody marys too) but if you're lazy or want to try a pepper vodka first to see if you even like it, store bought is definitely an option.

I hear you on infused vodkas... I just finished a cantelope and a ginger vodka. The ginger is awesome in mixed drinks but super super strong. The cantelope you can drink straight.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

Everyone here makes margaritas with jalapeno infused tequila. Did people do this in Tucson and I just missed it? It seems like such a Tucson thing and I never heard of it.

I really want to try espresso infused vodka.

http://www.bendistillery.com/bnds_clhev.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home