Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Fried Out

I remember why I don't fry very much. Other than it being not very healthy, it is a huge pain-in-the-ass. I think it might be one of the worst choices for group entertaining.* The food is best served hot and crunchy. Meaning you have to make it right then. Meaning you spend your time over hot oil rather than drinking sangria and talking to your guests. Bad choice. I like the food items that you can bake and/or make ahead. Everything I made for yesterday was good, at best:

Calamari -- good, not very crunchy. pieces were pretty small. a lot of work for not much taste. they were all eaten though, which is a good sign.
Fish Tacos -- good, but not as good as usual. Plus folks weren't so adventureous with the crema style fish taco sauce that goes with them. Oh well. I'll have to get my fish taco fill next time I'm in Tucson or San Diego.
Calabacitas -- fine, nothing to write home about
Tomato pie -- good, but I didn't cook it long enough.
Iced Tea- nobody touched it
Sangria -- awesome, but I didn't even make it! Well, unless adding the garnish counts.


* That said, parties revolving around frying can be fun... i.e. Karl's fry parties (deep-fried ice cream sandwiches anyone?) and when he deep-fries a whole turkey. I'm talking above about medium sized frying ventures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home