Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Job

Our grant was just funded and I now have a new job. No more postdoc for me.

I'll still be working at the same place with similar people, only now I'll have a lot more responsibility. This new position ties my old job to a new one. It is the intersection of clinical research and science education. I'll be coordinating a series of community heath fairs that bring clinical research about nutrition to rural Oregon communities. It's funded by two grants totalling $800K over the next 2 years. Our local science museum is helping with the exhibitry and then we'll be going to communities to educate the public about health issues, mainly nutrition. As an added bonus, people can be tested anonymously for various health markers (ht/wt/blood pressure/cholesterol/etc) and volunteer to have their data be part of a research study.

So it's all of my favorite things... research, collecting data, science education, organization, event planning, evaluation, exhibit design and writing things up. Plus, the science education and clinical research data will be used as pilot data for future grants (both science education and larger research grants). Be still my beating, nerdy heart.


Work starts this week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:51 AM, Anonymous caroline said...

YAY! CONGRATULATIONS! How serendipitous for you, and awesome!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger A-M said...

Oh Lisa...my nerdy heart skipped a beat after reading this too!! Congrats and I am so so jealous. This sounds like the most perfect and exciting job!

And thank you for all your help in the job search so far....no news on the second interview for science director yet (they said by next week).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home