Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, October 02, 2009

Putting the D -day in SunDay

I'm due on Sunday. Could be any time between now and 2 weeks from now. I had my doctor's appointment today and I'm now 2.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. She said the baby's head is "right there". Creepy. Labor is apparently considered to be started at 3 cm and 85% effacement. Super creepy. Super close.

I've had two questions asked that others may be wondering about, so I figured I'd post them along with my answers:

What is effacement?
Effaced is a ridiculous and previously unknown term to me that means the cervix is getting really soft, stetchy and thin (i.e. ready for a baby). apparently the cervix is normally pretty thick and hard, but with enough time in my pressure cooker of a pregnant body, it has become nice and tender like pot roast.

Are you getting the flu shot and/or H1N1 vaccine?
I got my flu shot last week and I plan on getting the H1N1 when it comes out. My doctor was pretty gung ho about it. And Ken got his flu shot too. I figure since I work with germ ridden kids and the general public in a hospital and public health fair setting, it would be stupid of me not to be prepared.

I figure, more immunity the better -- especially being immunosuppressed from pregnancy. I'm ready to strap katie to the front of me and go out in public but I worry about germs/viruses attacking her little immune system which is still being built up. bizarre. I didn't expect to feel this way (i.e. so protective) before --- especially since i'm going to be breast feeding and she'll have all of my IgG antibodies. I've been thinking about our immunology professor a lot and weighing what's rational/irrational. Still its weird that the protective instinct may be kicking in.

What are you doing this weekend?
Here's my conversation with Ken the other day about our weekend plans:
K: I have a kickball double header on sunday and am going to alyson's that morning to watch football.
L: that's my due date.
K: do you want to come along?
L: So are you saying my options are that I can do what you want to do or I can be alone on my due date?
K: When you put it like that, I sound like a d*^%
L: (no response)
K: Well, I don't have to go to Alyson's.

Classic.

No plans this weekend, just taking it easy. Ken has informed me that no births are to occur on Monday night (when vikings play green bay). My folks come on Thursday. Everything else is up in the air. I'm off from work starting monday (or at least working from home).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home