Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Steel Uterus, part 2

Went to a fetal monitoring appointment this morning. During the 20 minute appointment, I had two contractions. No, I had no idea they were contractions. I thought they were kicks. Other than that, things look good. Katie's kicking and her heartbeat is good. They did an ultrasound to check position and she is "definitely engaged", meaning her head is down and she's ready to go. They also measured the amniotic fluid around her... normal range is between 5-25 (she was a 9). They said if it was on the low end, they'd want to induce sooner than later. So, for now, things are looking fine and I just have to be patient. I have another appointment (both to see the doctor and for more fetal monitoring on Friday).

I'm having a hard time with the waiting, just like others have mentioned. It's hard. I'm uncomfortable and impatient. Two bad traits for me. I should be thankful that I'm not in pain though. Others have had much tougher pregnancies than me. My main complaint right now is that my hands go numb when I sleep so I wake up often with pain and numbness in my hands and arms. Very uncomfortable. Last night I woke up about 3-4 times with them feeling like they were on fire. I will be glad when the swelling subsides and that symptom goes away.

My folks come out on Thursday. i'm hoping Katie comes before then, but I'm not holding my breath. I get disappointed in the evenings when I don't feel any symptoms and I know I have another sleepless night ahead of me because of numb hands. It's possible that tonight could be different... I've had pains for most of the afternoon, but that could be due to the jalapeno & cheese tamale I had for lunch. I'm not holding my breath. But I kind of am.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger A-M said...

Hi there!

I want to cheer you up but I dunno what else to say besides I have been there and it sucks. People kept telling me not to worry no matter what the baby would be here within 2 weeks but that seemed like FOREVER and it just kinda pissed me off. So crossing my fingers for your water to break tonight.....every night feels so anti-climatic, no?

One surefire way to stimulate oxytocin production is to hook up your breast pump (if you have one) and pump away. The most effective setting at stimulating oxytocin release is the let-down (short lighter pumps). If you get some colustrum out you can save it and give it to the babe later. So if you are feeling some contractions (or kicks :) then hook it up and watch them get stronger. It might make your water break and get things movin' along.

Hugs and hang in there. Once it starts it goes by so quickly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home