Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Emotional Transitions

I'm having a hard time leaving the job I have now (and love) for this new job opportunity. And it's not because of the baby. Strangely enough, I feel more guilty about having a baby than I do about having a new job. yikes. either way, something's up emotionally/hormonally because even after my advisor told me he's positioning me to take over the grant in two years (as the co-head of the grant!), I started to cry when I got back to my office because I'd be away from this job for the next year (and they're hiring someone else to replace me). Rationally speaking, I think I cried because I'm replaceable, but I'm not sure. Also rationally speaking, I know this job transition is the best thing for my future and it will challenge me to try new things and gain new skills. Still, irrationally, I'm having a tough time with the idea of it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Another way in which you may want to think is to NOT think about it in terms of being replaceable, but rather being PROMOTABLE. As you move up, someone needs to fill your position but it is not because you are being demoted...it is because your skills and competency have been noticed and your development has situated you for a higher position. Like George and Weezy, you are movin' on up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home