Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, August 03, 2009

Nursery Prep

Now that we've moved the office down to the basement, we've been working on getting Katie's room in order and taking care of other items on the to-do list before she arrives. This weekend, we:
  • installed the new computer in the basement
  • Hemmed and doctored curtains
  • picked up a new chair
  • installed a closet system
  • made curtain sheers from scratch
  • painted the garage exterior's first coat

I also learned why there's no good reason to make your own curtains unless you can't find what you want or are high on pregnancy hormones.

I expected it to be much easier/faster but making those curtains ended up taking most of the weekend. My back ached by the end and it was more expensive to buy the fabric than it would have been to buy pre-made curtains. Once I realized this, I bought pre-made curtain panels instead, hemmed them to fit and added a band of fun fabric on the bottom to doctor them up. The banding can be easily removed later if a different look is desired.

I made the sheers myself though (latter being $30 in fabric rather than $20 to buy premade in the store). I do love the softness of the sheers though -- better than any I found in stores. But still, they took quite a bit of time to make and were not any cheaper.

Here's a picture of the chair and curtains in Katie's room. I was trying to get more of the curtains in the picture, but I only had my phone on me and couldn't get the light correct without showing more chair than curtain.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I have a theory that you have figured out how to make your weekends longer than mine. I am always amazed by how much you can get done is two days. The nursey is looking great, however. Its hard to believe that Katie will be living there in only 2 months!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home